Smart Machining Systems, SMS, are the next stage in the evolution of machining systems within the manufacturing enterprise. A Smart Machining System will enable cost effective manufacture to specification, and on schedule, of first and every part. Such systems will complement and enhance the effectiveness of machine operators, process planners, and design engineers in the manufacturing enterprise by sharing the knowledge and information among these functions to optimize the design and manufacturing processes to their fullest. Smart Machining Systems are envisioned to have the following characteristics:
- self-recognition and communication of their capabilities to other parts of the manufacturing enterprise;
- self-monitoring and optimizing their operations;
- self-assessing the quality of their own work;
- self-learning and performance improvement over time; and
- enhance human interaction.
This is an emerging and evolving field of research in industry and academia with continued strong impact on industry practice, and necessary metrology and standards. This international conference will bring together researchers, developers, and users of technologies that are an essential component of SMS and challenge them to explore the integration of these technologies.